Diego Moreno Scholarship
Purpose: To support a student who has demonstrated a commitment to serving his or her community, and intends to use their education to make the world a better place.
“This scholarship is in memory of Diego Moreno who lived and died following his principle to love and serve in all things: “en todo amar y servir” Diego’s love and service are his legacy.”
– The Diego Moreno is a newly created scholarship in 2019
– The scholarship can be applied to either a 2 or 4-year program. Preference will be given to students who intend to pursue a career in civil service.
– Applicants must be graduating seniors from any high school in the Kent School District.
Have any questions? Contact at email@example.com
Deadline to apply May 1st
Growing up in Venezuela Diego was raised to be the first to help, and he practiced this by always putting others before himself. At his high school graduation, he was recognized for his personal dedication to exemplifying the pillars of an Ignatian education: conscience, competence, compassion and commitment. St. Ignatius of Loyola was his high school’s patron saint, and Diego lived and died following his principles to love and serve in all things: “En todo amar y servir”. Diego’s love and service are his legacy.
During his eight years as a Kent Police Officer, Diego served with compassion and chose assignments that put him in a position to care and help the members of his community. Through his work he touched countless lives and earned many awards, including:
– three Life-Saving Medals: one for saving the life of a boy who had drowned (2011); one for rescuing an elderly woman from a burning building (2016); and one for resuscitating a woman who had overdosed (2017)
– the Chief’s Award of Exceptional Duty: for crawling to assist other officers, after he was injured by a suspect, rendering him unable to walk (2015) –
– the Award of Duty and Sacrifice (awarded posthumously)
In addition to his law enforcement service, Diego volunteered with Shop with a Cop served tables at the Tip a Cop Fundraiser to support Special Olympics, and grew his hair for donation. Above all, Diego was a beloved son, husband, father and brother.